The few days or hours before a storm hits is a time when citizens are focusing on storm warnings, stocking up on supplies and taking additional precautions to keep their family and their home safe. If you are able to include a message to sign up for Smart911 as part of storm preparations to your community you will not only see a great response from the community, but your residents will be better prepared in the event they need to dial 9-1-1.
3 Things You Can Do
- Issue a media alert to local news outlets
- Issue an emergency alert or include in planned emergency alerts
- Include messaging on Facebook and Twitter
Emergency Alert Text
Add these messages to emergency alerts or bulletins issued about storm preparation
SMS Text 1: Prepare for the storm by creating a free SMART911 profile that includes any information you want first responders to have when you dial 9-1-1. From <enter email contact>
SMS Text 2: SMART911.com is a free service that allows you to provide information about your household to 911 before the storm. From: <enter email contact>
Email Paragraph 1: With a severe storm approaching, <enter response agency> encourages all residents to prepare for the weather by signing up at www.smart911.com and providing information about their household to emergency officials. In the event you need to dial 9-1-1, we will be better prepared to help you. Sign up for the free service now at www.smart911.com
Email Paragraph 2: <enter storm details> is in the midst of development in the <enter location> area. We urge all citizens to prepare for the hazardous conditions by creating a free Safety Profile at www.smart911.com. Through Smart911, you can provide emergency responders with the information they need to help you when you need it most. Sign up for the free service now at www.smart911.com
Email Paragraph 3: Please contact <enter name> with any questions: <enter contact information>
Edit the attached document and issue to your local tv and print outlets as an advisory.
- ALERT: <enter storm details> in the midst of development in the area today. Travel will continue to be hazardous until <enter time>. Sign up at smart911.com to provide important information to 9-1-1 officials and first responders. It could save your life!
- Smart911.com is a free service that allows you to provide information about your household to 911 before the storm
- Prepare for dangerous driving conditions by signing up to giving 9-1-1 call takers and first responders important information at smart911.com. It could save your life!
- ALERT: Dangerous travel conditions are expected today. Sign up at smart911.com to provide important information to 9-1-1 officials and first responders. It could save your life in an emergency!
- ALERT: the latest regional forecast predicts hazardous driving conditions during the afternoon commute. Be smart about safety and sign up for Smart911 at Smart911.com.
- Dangerous driving conditions expected. Give #9-1-1 officials the info they need to help you at smart911.com.
- Prepare for hazardous roads & dangerous driving conditions, sign up for @Smart911to create a Safety Profile today.
- Strong wind, rain and accumulation are expected. Are you prepared? Sign up at www.smart911.com today.
- The rain and accumulation continues. Give #emergency managers the information they need to help you at smart911.co
- Prepare for hazardous weather, sign up & create your @Smart911 Safety Profile at smart911.com today
- Strong winds & hazardous road conditions predicted. Are you prepared? Sign up at www.smart911.com today.
Add any of the graphics below to the text above.
(Click to download .pdf version)