The coronavirus pandemic has upended people’s lives and put a tremendous strain on communities across the United States. Unfortunately, the pressure on state and local government employees has been massive, with an overwhelming number of inbound calls and requests regarding SNAP benefits, housing questions, unemployment claims, and more. For this reason, state and local leaders and management should try their best to motivate employees and remind them that their hard work is not going unnoticed. Inspirational quotes can certainly be a good start.
The Strain on Government Employees Amid COVID-19
Back in April, the unemployment rate skyrocketed higher than it’s ever been since the Great Depression. The Labor Department reported that almost 10 million people had filed for unemployment, with many out of work due to COVID-19. Luckily, the rates have slowly been decreasing going from 14.7% in April down to 8.4% in August, according to Trading Economics. Although the decrease is great to see, the unemployment rate is still double what it was back in February and March of 2020.
With an increasingly high number of Americans out of work, and with the stimulus funding slowing, communities are feeling the strain and struggling to pay their rent and bills on time. Recently, a group of housing researchers found between 30 and 40 million U.S. citizens risk eviction in the next several months, which is being considered the most severe housing crisis in the nation’s history, as per Market Watch.
Government departments are facing a food-scarcity, housing, and unemployment crisis, which is overwhelming employees with questions on state benefit program enrollment requirements and assistance. Although state and local leaders and workers are doing all they can to support and protect their communities, the pressure in addressing this high demand can take a toll and impact employee mental health.
Not only are government workers feeling the stress from work, but they are also likely concerned about themselves and family members considering the fast spread of the virus and high risk to vulnerable citizens. It’s important to keep state and local government employees in mind and encourage them with positive feedback.
Top 20 Inspirational Quotes to Share with Your Employees
Quotes are often overlooked but are a great tool to help employees embrace workplace safety as well as provide a great daily dose of inspiration. Displaying quotes around the office, on bulletin boards, and featuring them in employee communications or newsletters regularly can help boost morale among different government departments.
JobStreet explains, “From overcoming adversity to simply just getting through the day, these motivational quotes can serve to inspire and reinvigorate your employees.” Here are some of our favorite quotes:
1. “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” – Albert Einstein
2. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
3. “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” – Charles Darwin
4. “You have power over your mind — not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” – Marcus Aurelius
5. “A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.” – Mahatma Gandhi
6. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” – Thomas Edison
7. “The greater danger for most of us isn’t that our aim is too high and miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” – Michelangelo
8. “In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.” – Sun Tsu
9. “I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.” – Thomas Jefferson
10. “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
11. “What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
12. “The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.” – Bruce Lee
13. “If you hear a voice within you say “you cannot paint” then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
14. “Danger gathers upon our path. We cannot afford — we have no right — to look back. We must look forward.” – Winston Churchill
15. “Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire under you, chances are it will burn very briefly.” – Stephen R. Covey
16. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
17. “Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” – Joseph Campbell
18. “Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness.” – Eckhart Tolle
19. “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams
20. “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John Wooden
Communicating with Employees is Key
Most messaging sent out by state and local governments are mass communications to the public. Although clearly communicating with residents is extremely important, communicating internally is crucial as well.
By leveraging a mass notification solution, government management or administrators can easily send out some of the above inspirational quotes to encourage and motivate employees. The world is going through a tough and unprecedented time, and if a simple quote can bring positivity and motivation we believe it’s worth it.